What a perfect day to get some writing done! Here are some writing tips to get you going on this Monday, which also happens to be International Typing Day!
1. Big Picture – Start with a one-line summary of your novel
2. Three Acts – Write a synopsis including the 3 acts of your book
3. Spotlight – Write one-page descriptions on each character (very important)
4. Location, Location, Location – Build the setting(s) and determine their significance
5. I or You – Decide on the P.O.V. – it can make or break your novel!
6. It’s About Time – Create a pace between scenes and be consistent
7. Pen to Paper – Write your first draft (and then your 2nd, 3rd…)
8. Edit Out – Self-edit and then send out to a Editor
9. Edit In – Revise and Rewrite
10. Off to the Presses – Publish your book. Just do it!
11. Cheers! – Have a stiff drink because you deserve it!
Instead of: Hard Use: Challenging
Instead of: Good Use: Splendid
Instead of: Bad Use: Dreadful
Instead of: Sad Use: Somber
Instead of: Happy Use: Content
Instead of: Like Use: Treasure
Instead of: Mean Use: Malicious
Instead of: See Use: Glimpse
Instead of: Think Use: Deem
Instead of: Big Use: Colossal
Instead of: Little Use: Petite
Instead of: Walked Use: Shuffled
Instead of: Ran Use: Sprinted
Instead of: Laughed Use: Snickered
Instead of: Yelled Use: Wailed